Templeton Chamber hosting lunch, talk about employment laws
–The Templeton Chamber of Commerce is hosting a lunch featuring guest speaker employment-law attorney Susan Waag of LightGabler on Jan. 29, 2019 at McPhee’s Grill in Templeton from 11:30 a.m.- 1 p.m.
California courts and our legislative representatives have been busy in 2018, planning new surprises for employers in 2019. Even if you just have one employee, you will be affected by these actions.
Whether you are a small business owner, HR professional, office manager or anyone looking to keep a business from getting sued, you will benefit from learning how to navigate the complex and potentially confusing roster of legislation you will need to handle.
Employment-law attorney Susan Waag of LightGabler will present an informative legal update of the new employment requirements in 2019.
Among the key topics she’ll cover:
- Numerous “#MeToo” laws, including a requirement for employers with 5 or more employees to provide sexual harassment prevention training for all employees (not just supervisors)
- Mandatory changes to employee contracts and settlement agreements on the topics of sexual harassment and confidentiality
- Amendments to the FEHA’s protected categories and required policy updates for all employers
- Updates to rules on background checks and criminal history regulations
- Minimum wage increasing again – is your wallet/payroll-processing ready?
- Overtime changes for agricultural workers
- Dissecting the new “ABC” rules of classifying workers as independent contractors or employees
- Clarifications to the ban on seeking salary-history information
- Arbitration do’s and don’ts, and the U.S. Supreme Court’s view on class waivers
- Paid Family Leave amendments (this affects all employers… even if only 1 employee!)
- Women on publicly-traded California-based company boards of directors
- Additional requirements for training about human trafficking
The Lunch & Learn Speaker Series is open to members ($30) and non-members ($35) of the Templeton Chamber of Commerce. This event will sell out so click here to register for tickets online or by calling (805) 434-1789 by Jan. 28.
Subscribe to the A-Town Daily News for free!