New workforce development program offered by chamber of commerce
Gloria Balderas hired as new workforce development program manager
– Gloria Balderas has joined the Atascadero Chamber of Commerce as the workforce development program manager. The role is grant funded and focuses on rapid response and layoff aversion assistance for both employers and employees.
“We offer layoff assistance to both business owners and employees to help them get through the process more efficiently and avoid layoffs. We also offer tons of business resources in recruitment, grant information, loans, etc.,” said Balderas.
One of the roles of the chamber is to promote economic vitality. “The addition of a staff member focusing on workforce development means that we can better develop comprehensive approaches to identifying, planning for, or responding to layoffs and dislocations, as well as preventing or minimizing their impacts on workers, businesses, and communities,” says Atascadero Chamber President and CEO Josh Cross.
Other chamber-initiated business vitalization efforts include
- Facilitating business retention, growth, attraction in Atascadero
- Serving as point of contact for developers and entrepreneurs
- Chaperoning prospective business startups through business launching in Atascadero
- Working alongside private, nonprofit, and government sectors in San Luis Obispo County region to create conditions for success for all business
- Referring business services and products through Atascadero Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center, and 6) participation in regional economic planning.
Balderas’s goal is helping business owners and job seekers to feel confident to thrive in the county by being a resource and sharing helpful business service information.
“What’s inspiring to me is the number of business owners and managers I get to meet every week,” says Balderas. I have met with over 100 businesses so far. A big eye-opener for me is realizing that a simple, ‘I’m here if you need anything,’ always goes a long way. It’s important for our business owners to know that we are here to support them.”
For more information, contact Balderas at [email protected] or (805) 466-2044.