Atascadero recognizing Fire Prevention Week
–Atascadero Fire & Emergency Services has announced their participation in Fire Prevention Week from October 7-13. Our local Fire Department works in coordination with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the official sponsor of the Fire Prevention Week for more than 90 years, to reinforce these potentially life-saving messages.
This year’s Fire Prevention Week theme is “Look. Listen. Learn. Be Aware. Fire can happen anywhere!” A theme that will better educate the public about the three basic but essential steps to take to reduce the likelihood of having a fire and how to escape safely in the event that one happens. Three basic steps:
- Look for places a fire can start and eliminate those fire hazards.
- Listen for smoke alarms and relocate to your outside meeting place, which should be a safe distance where everyone knows to meet.
- Learn two ways out of every room and keep those exit ways clear from clutter.
“Avoiding the risk of fire is one of the key essentials this year as we educate our children and the public in what to do to prevent a fire and what to do if there is a fire,” said Casey Bryson, Fire Chief of the Atascadero Fire & Emergency Services. “That pre-planning is what everyone will draw upon to snap into action and escape as quickly as possible in the event of a fire.”
Following is the presentation schedule at each of the local schools around Atascadero:
- Monday, Oct. 8 North County Christian School 9-10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 9 San Gabriel Elementary, 8:30 a.m. – Noon
- Wednesday, Oct. 10 Santa Rosa Elementary, 8:30 a.m. – noon
- Thursday, Oct. 11 Monterey Road Elementary, 8:30 a.m. – noon. Burn Relay from 10:20 – 11 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 12: San Benito Elementary, 8:30 a.m. – noon; Fire Arts Academy hosted at Station 1 at 1 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 13 Home Depot Fire Safety Event, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
To learn more about this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Look. Listen. Learn. Be Aware. Fire can happen anywhere!” visit www.firepreventionweek.org.
Subscribe to the A-Town Daily News for free!