A-Town Daily News welcomes news submissions
–The A-Town Daily News, Atascadero’s news leader, welcomes news submissions, press releases, news tips, event announcements, photos and more from local clubs, businesses and organizations. The A-Town Daily News publishes accepted press releases for free. To submit an opinion piece or letter to the editor click here.
Submit a press release
A press release, news release, media release, statement or report is a written communication to members of the news media for the purpose of announcing something newsworthy. Typically, they are e-mailed to editors and journalists at newspapers, magazines, radio and television stations.
Press release topics
- Upcoming events
- Grand openings
- Award ceremonies
- Competition results
- Public meetings
- New management
- New products
- Donations to charities
- Special offers and more
Elements of a news release
- Contact – At top, include name, cell phone number and email address for contact person.
- Headline – Write one that grabs attention and summarizes the news.
- Subhead – A second headline or “subhead” can include additional details
- Dateline – Start first sentence with date and city such as “April 6, 2016, Atascadero –”
- Introduction – In the first paragraph, answer the questions of who, what, when, where and why.
- Body – Add details, quotes, explanation, statistics, and background.
- About – End with a short “about” section with information about the company or organization.
Tips for a good press release
- Choose a newsworthy topic. The more newsworthy the release, the more likely it will be run by the media.
- Write the release in third person, avoiding the words, “you,” “I,” and “we”, unless inside of quotes.
- Include a photo with a caption in your news release. Include the names of the people in photos.
- Write about facts – events, products, services, people, targets, goals, plans, projects, rather than opinion.
- Follow Associated Press Style for capitalization, punctuation and abbreviations.
Submit a press release to A-Town Daily News
To be considered for publication in the A-Town Daily News, email a press releases with photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need help with a press release?
If you would like assistance writing and distributing a press release, call Access Publishing at (805) 226-9890. Access Publishing has an experienced team or writers, editors and marketing consultants who can help you spread your message in the San Luis Obispo County market area.
Subscribe with us!